Friday, October 17, 2008

On toddler imitation


It is really quite frightening to realize that I am the most prominent influence in someone's life. The words I say and the things I do are observed, absorbed, and eventually imitated by my impressionable toddler. So far she "plays Mommy" by riding around the house on her bike, stuffing purses full of play food, putting dollies and animals in her bike basket, and bringing me delicious meals of painted blocks. But those times when I lose my temper or send Hannah off for her 10th time-out in a row I can see it playing out: Hannah scolding her worn old elephant with a firm "no no!" and stuffing him in the corner as his threadbare head sags in shame. Just like Mommy does, the old tyrant. Hannah has, however, began to talk like me. This morning she heard Ginny cry so she ran to investigate and said "oh goodness!" to her just like I do when Ginny really starts to scream.

When I catch Hannah in some devious act, I apparently respond the same way every time. "Hannah, do not pull the blinds down... I'm serious!" "Hannah, do not climb on your bike to get cookies... I'm serious!" "Hannah, get out of the sink and put your clothes back on... I'm SERIOUS!!!" On Wednesday, Hannah was crying in her typical dramatic fashion. She just sat on the toilet and bawled her heart out. Normally when I ask her what's wrong she says "crying!" and when I ask her why she says "I'm sad!" Surprisingly, this isn't very helpful information. But this time when I asked her what's wrong she said "I'm sick! I'm sick! I'm SERIOUS! I'm sick!" Thankfully it was a short recovery and she was back on her feet within 5 minutes.

Hopefully good will triumph and Hannah will not come to reflect all of my shortcomings... and we'll both survive these "terrible twos" unscathed, even if the poor elephant does occasionally find himself banished in the corner.

No comments: